Do you love the way your house smells right after a good cleaning? Have you ever wanted to try a DIY natural cleaning product? I know I love using any alternative to the toxic chemicals that are in the common commercialized cleaners on the store shelves.
According to an article by Women’s Voices For the Earth: (https://www.womensvoices.org/safe-cleaning-products/basic/)
“Some chemicals in cleaning products have been linked to asthma, which is a growing chronic health problem. Several chemicals present in some household and industrial cleaning products have been identified as asthma triggers or are known to aggravate existing respiratory symptoms.
Some chemicals in cleaning products have been linked to reproductive harm, which includes changes in sexual behavior, decreases in fertility, menstrual changes, changes in the onset of puberty, cancers of reproductive organs, miscarriage, premature birth and other effects. Many scientists now believe that chemical exposure, even at very low levels, can have adverse impacts on the reproductive system”.
- Tens of thousands of chemicals are used in American industry, placed in products, and released to our environment, with very little information on the potential consequences for human health and little oversight by the government.
- No legal requirements exist for ingredient labeling on household cleaning products. As a result, consumers have limited access to information about which products contain chemicals ingredients they may wish to avoid
- Chemicals in cleaning products can pollute the environment when sprayed in the air or washed down the drain, jeopardizing the health of our ecosystems.
Check out my previous blog post about avoiding toxic household chemicals here:
That’s why you need to try my favorite set of essential oils by Plant Therapy they call the “Spring Cleaning Set”. The essential oils in this set are known for their crisp clean smell, getting rid of the toughest dirt and avoiding those toxic, harmful ingredients.
You’ll need to purchase a few inexpensive items in order to make several bottles of cleaners for different uses. Just click on each item to purchase through Amazon if you don’t have them already in your pantry.
What you will need:
- 1 cup purified water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tsp castile soap
- 20-30 drops of your choice of essential oil
- Spray bottle
Essential Oil Suggestions by Plant Therapy:
For bathrooms: Germ Fighter
For the kitchen: Tea Tree and Lemon or Citrus Burst
For floors: Peppermint or Lemon
For living spaces and bedrooms: Lavender
- Mix all ingredients in a spray bottle.
- Spray everything down.
- Get a wet rag and wipe it all off.